Hubby informed me there was water in the hole, but I never imagined I'd find a swimmin' hole big enough for scuba diving toddlers. And, what kind of plants spontaneously grow over night?
Anyway, here are my do's and don'ts of hole digging and stuff:
- Do NOT dig a hole, in clay, right before a big rainstorm.
- If you DO dig a hole right before a rainstorm, make sure you plant the tree right after digging the hole.
- Definitely do NOT eat two wheat berry blender pancakes right before bailing the water out of the hole with the smallest bucket in the world.
- Do NOT toss the unwanted water uphill.
- Do NOT scoop out and place all of the muddy yuckiness right in the very place that later on you were going to use as a measuring path to get your trees lined up.
Hubby sent me this message after reading this post:
I forgot to tell you that I pruned the basil plants so that they would grow out, not up. And after tasting them and deciding they were not very tasty, I thought I might as well use them as compost for the tree, and put them in the hole.