Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Channeling Julie

I have a friend named Julie who lives in California.  Julie has the magic touch when it comes to decorating.  She can make a church gym look like a fancy shmancy hotel lobby.  She's also very crafty - the good crafty, not the bad crafty.  I was constantly amazed at her over-the-top efforts in all of the events we planned together at church.  For example, once she made a bunch of cute matching aprons for all the ladies who helped with a service auction that we held. 

Last week I had the assignment to make eight prizes for the winners of a game at church.  I didn't want to spend any money so I decided to put a cup of wheat berries in a Ziploc baggie and attach a recipe for blender pancakes.  It sounds lame, but it went along with the theme of the evening.  The lame part was my wimpy efforts at presentation.  And then I asked myself, "What would Julie do?"  I 'channeled' Julie and came up with the simple idea of quickly sewing up some cute little calico bags.


I know, it's a far cry from turning a church gym into the Ritz, but it's a start.  By the way, here's the recipe for blender pancakes if you're interested.

Wheat Berry Blender Pancakes

2 c. milk
1 c. wheat berries
¼ c. oil
1 egg (or 1 T applesauce)
3 tsp. baking powder
2 T sugar or honey
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda

Combine 1 cup milk with the wheat berries and blend at high speed for 5 minutes.  Add the remaining milk and blend another 3 minutes.  Add oil, egg, and other ingredients one at a time into the swirl at the top of the blender.  Mixture will thicken and rise then the blender will begin to spin freely.  Stop blender.  Pour the mixture out of the blender into the frying pan.  Note:  The egg can be left out in an emergency.

1 comment:

  1. These were soooo good when we had them on my visit. Mmmmm! I'll try them - just as soon as my hubs makes them for me! :)

    ReplyDelete