Friday, July 15, 2011

Cooking for a Crowd

A friend, Rose, asked if I would help her with the meals at our church's young women camp.  Have you ever said 'yes' to something before you really knew what you were getting into?  Neither Rose nor I could have ever imagined what our lives would be like for several weeks.  Our task was to plan for, make purchases for, and eventually prepare 3 meals for 50 girls and leaders, 9 meals for 180-210 girls and leaders, and 3 late-night snacks for the larger numbers.  How hard could that be?  

I'm a visual person, but I couldn't even begin to imagine that amount of food and paper products - until we started buying all of it!  R and I bought as much of the food and supplies as we could ahead of time.  On the morning of the first day of camp, Julie (another volunteer) and I filled 4 (four!) flatbed carts at Costco - with ONLY the fresh produce!  It was crazy!  Oh, why didn't I take a picture of our fresh produce caravan!?!  I did get some pictures of Rose's dining room filled with some of our early purchases.




Over the next couple of days I'll be writing about the adventures of Rose and me.  It was an eye-opening, mind-boggling, foot-swelling, back-breaking, exhausting, rewarding experience.

1 comment:

  1. You've been busy, lady! I've never been to Girls Camp but it looks like it requires A LOT of work!

    ReplyDelete