Monday, June 6, 2011

World Wide Knit in Public Day

I just thought you would all want to know that June 11th is World Wide Knit in Public Day.  This makes me laugh because in college I used to hide my knitting, especially if there were boys in the vicinity.  It was not cool back then or maybe I just wasn't cool enough to make knitting look cool.  I would have been mortified for anyone to see me knitting other than my roommates.  If I was knitting in the living room of the Garden of Eden (the name we gave our apartment - ha!) and someone knocked on the door, I would hide my knitting before answering the door.  I didn't want people to think I was a boring old lady!  

A few years ago celebrities like Julia Roberts started to knit in public, which generated more interest in knitting.  It's so unfair that you have to have a beautiful smile, great hair, and a gazillion dollars to be able to make knitting look appealing.  Anyway, grab your knitting bag and head for an event near you.

1 comment:

  1. When I was in high school (10 years ago!) it wasn't cool at all. By the time I graduated college it was becoming a hobby of all the hipsters on campus. Funny how things go in and out of style, huh?

    ReplyDelete