Saturday, October 25, 2014

Sam-I-Am

I finally finished the Sam-I-Am baby quilt.  The only problem, Sam is not a baby any more.  Okay, he just turned one recently so it's not like he's in college or something.  But, I know his personality now and he is ALL boy, so this quilt seems a bit babyish for him now.  I still love it, though!


I call it the wonky star pattern.  The designer, Elizabeth Hartman, calls it the Sparkle Punch Quilt.  Go here for the tutorial on how to make the stars.  It was a lot of fun making wonky stars.  I highly recommend it!

I decided to put one star on the back in the corner and use it as the label.  Notice the 2013 date.  This quilt was sandwiched and ready to quilt back in 2013, but I froze up because I didn't know how to quilt it or what color thread to use.  I ended up using off-white, as a friend recommended, and I ended up stippling it.  Since the piecing is so sharp and pointy I thought it needed curvacious quilting.


Can you see the Sam-I-Am fabric in the star?  This could only go to a boy named Sam.

2 comments:

  1. Sam loves his quilt! He snuggles up with it every night, and it's definitely not as babyish as the Winnie the Pooh comforter it replaced. Jackson also likes that it says Sam I Am, and points it out to Sam all the time.

    ReplyDelete