Wednesday, February 1, 2012

First and Last Roadshow

Back in the day our church congregations (wards) used to have roadshows.  The tradition started, in a different form, when the pioneers crossed the plains.  The pioneers would gather together in the evenings to sing, dance, and entertain each other.  It would help lift their spirits.

I didn't grow up in the church, but my siblings did.  For some reason I never got involved in the roadshows when they did.  (Knowing what I know now, I'm sure the ward would've gladly welcomed me to participate.)  I finally got to be part of a roadshow when I lived in Salt Lake City, after graduating from BYU.  I don't remember if I was actually 'in' the show, but I did draw and paint (with help) some of the scenery.


I drew out the designs on paper and then traced them with a Sharpie on some plastic that I had scrounged up and cut into small sheets.  Someone built some big lightweight wooden frames and we stapled butcher paper to them.  I used my newly acquired teacher skills to project and trace the drawings onto the framed butcher paper.


My favorite drawing was The Battle of the Champs.  I thought it was a pretty clever interpretation of the rivalry between the Brigham Young University Cougars and the University of Utah Utes.  

I was also proud of creating the illusion of a crowd in the stadium picture without drawing a gazillion little heads, but was quite disappointed when someone sneakily added in the 'Coke' ad and threw the whole drawing off center.

No comments:

Post a Comment